Medical Laboratory Assistant Program
Learn the skills you need to get hired as a medical lab assistant. Qualify to work at a clinic, hospital, or research laboratory. Graduate in just 4 months!
What Does a Medical Laboratory Assistant Do?
Medical laboratory assistants play a very important role in patient health. They are responsible for collecting blood, tissue and other samples from patients, and preparing samples for testing and analyses.
Medical lab assistant duties and responsibilities include:
- Collecting blood, tissue, and other samples directly from patients
- Receiving and processing samples from doctors and nurses
- Labeling and logging specimens
- Preparing samples for testing
- Conducting routine laboratory tests and analyzing samples
- Setting up, sterilizing, and maintaining medical lab equipment
- Preparing samples for storage and transportation
These are the skills you will learn in Herzing’s Medical Laboratory Assistant program.
Herzing College Medical Laboratory Assistant Program
Herzing offers fast, comprehensive Medical Laboratory Assistant training. We teach all the theory and skills you need to get certified with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science.
- 4-month diploma program (30 hours per week, Monday – Thursday)
- Taught by expert instructors with many years of experience in Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Medical Microbiology and Histology
- 6-week internship in a medical laboratory
- Multiple program start-dates throughout the year
- Financial assistance is available for students who qualify
- Career support to find your first job after graduation
Get Real Work Experience with a Medical Lab Assistant Internship
This diploma program includes real work experience in a clinical setting. The medical lab assistant internship is a crucial part of training. It helps students transition successfully into their first job after college.
- 6-weeks of full-time work in a clinical environment
- Apply the skills and knowledge you have learned in class
- Build confidence in your abilities
- Gain experience for your resume
There is steady demand for medical laboratory assistants in Manitoba. Retirements and industry growth are creating new job opportunities in this field.
Typical job titles include:
- Lab Technician Assistant
- Medical Technician
- Medical Lab Assistant
Job Opportunities for Medical Lab Assistants in Manitoba
Manitoba offers a variety of job opportunities for medical lab assistants. Employers include:
- Private research facilities
- Government research facilities
- Post-secondary educational institutions
Who Hires Herzing Grads?
Graduates of Herzing’s Medical Laboratory Assistant program have been hired at:
- Dynacare Medical Labs
- DSM-Grace Hospital
- DSM-Victoria General Hospital
- DSM-Selkirk General Hospital
Our Medical Laboratory Assistant courses include training in lab procedures, lab safety, specimen collection, and computer skills.
Students are fully prepared to write the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) certification exam.
Click to see a detailed description of each course.
This course introduces the foundations of the language of medicine and provides instruction in the organization and structure of the body components (anatomy) and their functions (physiology). The course will also contain a review of the mathematics skills required of a Medical Laboratory Assistant. Topics include medical terminology, the structure and major functions of the body systems, laboratory testing of physiology and pathology, and basic laboratory mathematics.
This course will provide instruction in the roles and responsibilities, the communication skills, and the computer skills required of a Medical Laboratory Technician. Topics will include the role of the Medical laboratory Assistant in the Health Care System, professionalism, legal issues, ethical issues, quality assurance, communication skills, assertiveness, nonverbal communication, team work, communication with patients, dealing with challenging behaviours, documentation, and basic computer skills.
This course will provide instruction in laboratory safety and the use and care of laboratory equipment. Topics will include laboratory mathematics, chemical, biological, and physical hazards; infection control, basic first aid; and safe care and use of laboratory equipment.
This course will provide instruction and practice in specimen collection, preparation, and testing. Topics will include phlebotomy, clinical chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, serology, immunohematology, histology, cytology, the specific testing procedures for some common laboratory tests, and quality control.
This is a review course designed to assist the students with their preparation to write the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science’s medical assistant certification examination.
The clinical practicum component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in a health care environment. The internship requires full-time day attendance working in the clinical setting. The duration of the practicum is six weeks, during which the student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 6 weeks of work experience.
Diane has worked as a Medical Laboratory Technologist for over 35 years. She has experience in Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Medical Microbiology and Histology. Diane is a member of the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science, Manitoba Association of Medical Laboratory Sciences and Manitoba College of Medical Laboratory Technologists.
Diane has volunteered as the Professional Development Director with the Manitoba Association of Medical Laboratory Sciences. She is also an ambassador with Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science. She has taught Medical Microbiology at Misericordia. She has also taught at Red River College.
Diane has a Bachelor of Science degree with Master credits. She is also A Dame of Justice with the Most Venerable Order of St. John. Some of Diane interests are travel, photography, amateur radio and archery.
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
SAMPLE AVERAGE SALARY RANGE:
$39,072 to $46,656
(Medical laboratory assistant)
4 Months (30 hours/week M-TH)
Includes 6 week internship
Your Next Steps
Ready to learn more about Herzing’s Medical Lab Assistant program? It’s easy to get started. Choose from the following options:
- Fill out the form to ask questions via email
- Chat live with an Admissions Advisor to get your questions answered now
- Click Apply Now to get your application started today!
Why Choose this Program?
The Medical Laboratory Assistant program at Herzing College is taught by experts and trusted by employers. Here’s why Herzing should be your first choice:
- Accelerated Medical Lab Assistant program you can finish in just 4 months
- Instructors are experienced health care professionals, with decades of real lab experience
- Training includes full preparation for the CSMLS certification exam
- Hands-on training that builds your confidence and fully prepares you for your first job
- 6-week internship gives you real medical lab work experience
- Friendly environment with students of all ages and backgrounds
- Excellent Career Development team that helps create your resume, prepare you for interviews, and apply for jobs
- We offer the Herzing Open Education Program (HOEP), which lets you take more courses after you graduate, tuition-free
- Our graduates get hired! In 2020, 86% available graduates found employment in a related field (based on most recent available data)