Health Care Aide Program
Learn how to provide safe, compassionate support to people with special healthcare needs. Qualify to work in hospitals, personal care homes, and private residences. Start your career in just 5 months.
What is a Health Care Aide?
Health care aides work under the supervision of a nurse. They assist clients who need help with everyday tasks, such as eating, grooming, hygiene, mobility, medication reminders, and therapeutic activities.
- Most health care aides work with seniors
- Some health care aides assist youth and adults with disabilities, and people recovering from serious injuries
- Health care aides help seniors live safely in their own homes
- Health care aides help nurses monitor patient health in care homes and hospitals
- Health care aides help families care for loved ones who need special support to meet daily needs
“Health care aides are incredibly valuable to the patients, families, and nurses they work with. They are the ‘eyes and ears’ of the nurses. Plus, they provide a level of emotional support and practical care patients can’t get anywhere else. That’s why we’re seeing such a spike in demand for this role.” (Nancy Scott RN, Instructor)
Herzing College Winnipeg Health Care Aide Program
Herzing College is Winnipeg’s leader in quality Health Care Aide training. We offer the most comprehensive, up-to-date Health Care Aide program in Winnipeg.
- 5-month diploma program (30 hours per week, Monday – Thursday)
- Taught by licensed nurses with years of healthcare experience
- Guaranteed 8-week practicum at a Winnipeg care home
- 4 certificates included in the program: First Aid, CPR, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, and P.I.E.C.E.S
- Accredited by the Canadian Support Workers Association
- Multiple program start-dates throughout the year
- Financial assistance may be available for students who qualify
Meet the instructor and see what makes our program so special: Instructor Nancy Scott Explains Health Care Aide Training & Careers
There is a very positive outlook for health care aide jobs in Winnipeg. Demand is strong for this occupation across the province, with plenty of job opportunities for new graduates.
After graduating from our Health Care Aide program, you will be qualified for jobs at:
- Personal care homes
- Home care companies
- Group homes
Some of our Health Care Aide graduates have also been hired as teaching assistants.
Who Hires our Grads?
Graduates of our Health Care Aide program have been hired by hospitals and personal care homes across Winnipeg:
- Misericordia Health Centre
- Extendicare Oakview Place
- Selkirk Mental Hospital
- St. Amant Centre
- Deer Lodge Centre
- Health Sciences Center
- Victoria Hospital
- Maples Personal Care Home
- WRHA Home Care
Learn more about our grads: Meet Sheri Richard: Becoming a Health Care Aide Was the Best Decision I Ever Made
Herzing’s Health Care Aide training includes courses in patient care techniques, anatomy and physiology, reporting and documentation, hygiene and nutrition.
Click for a detailed description of each course.
This course introduces the foundations of the language of medicine and provides instruction in the organization and structure of the body components (anatomy) and their functions (physiology). Topics include the cardiovascular, respiratory, urinary, musculoskeletal, digestive, lymphatic and immune systems and practical laboratory activities associated with health care practice.
This course continues to provide instruction in the organization and structure of the body components (anatomy) and their functions (physiology). Topics include the integumentary, reproductive, nervous, endocrine systems and special senses: the eyes and ears. It presents practical laboratory activities associated with health-care practice, including CPR and First Aid
This course will expose the students to the human development, social, and ethical issues faced by Heath Care Aide workers. Topics will include the role of the Health Care Aide, ethics, sexuality, growth and development, infection control and safety.
This course will continue to expose the students to the human development, social, and ethical issues faced by Health Care Aide workers. Topics will include respite care, nutrition, stress, abuse, substance abuse, religion and culture, death and dying, family, and home management.
This portion of the program focuses on those skills and abilities required to provide health care aide services within the home of a client. Since the home environment is different from an institution, this program exposes students to these differences and ensures that they are able to employ their skills within this environment as well. Topics will include laundry care, bulk meal preparation, light housekeeping, bathing, respite care, palliative care and safety checks.
The instructor-supervised clinical practicum component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in a health care environment. The internship requires full-time day attendance working in the clinical setting. The duration of the practicum is eight weeks, during which the student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 8 weeks of work experience.
Nancy is a Registered Nurse with more than 20 years’ experience teaching the Health Care Aide program. She has experience in program development, instruction of theory and laboratory skills as well as clinical supervision. Nancy is passionate about teaching and she creates a fun and engaging learning environment.
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
SAMPLE AVERAGE SALARY RANGE:
$23,040 to $28,800
(Personal care provider-home care)
5 Months (30 hours/week M-TH)
Includes 8 week internship (37.5 hours/week M-F)
Your Next Steps
Ready to learn more about Herzing’s Health Care Aide program? It’s easy to get started. Choose from the following options:
- Fill out the form to ask questions via email
- Chat live with an Admissions Advisor to get your questions answered now
- Click Apply Now to get your application started today!
Why Choose this Program?
Herzing offers the most comprehensive Health Care Aide program in Winnipeg. This program is trusted by employers and has an excellent graduate employment rate. Here’s why Herzing should be your first choice:
- 5-month program that gets you ready for work fast!
- All our Health Care Aide instructors are licensed nurses with years of professional experience
- Our Health Care Aide program includes an intensive 8-week practicum (other colleges offer only a 6-week practicum)
- Training includes valuable certifications employers want
- We have a fully equipped kitchen where students learn to plan and prepare healthy meals for patients
- Small class sizes where every student gets step-by-step instructor support
- Friendly environment with students of all ages and backgrounds
- We offer the Herzing Open Education Program (HOEP), which lets graduates take additional programs and certificates, tuition-free
- Our grads get hired! In 2020, 86% of available graduates were employed in a related field (statistic based on the most recent available data)