As part of our ongoing commitment at Herzing College to student success and wellbeing, we are now offering student counselling services to our Herzing Winnipeg students. We plan to expand these offerings to other campus locations soon.
Role of the Student Services Advisor
The Student Services Advisor works collaboratively with faculty and staff to provide guidance to students to assist them in overcoming personal obstacles. They are responsible for coordinating a variety of student support services. One of the main responsibilities is creating an effective learning environment.
Student Support Services
Student Academic Issues
The Student Services Advisor will assist students who are:
- Struggling to function in the classroom
- Returning to school after a long absence
- Dealing with learning issues such as dyslexia
The Advisor will be able to direct students to the appropriate people at the campus who require additional student in the following areas:
- Financial questions/problems
- Admissions and enrollment issues
- Logistics in terms of managing time and resources
- Bus tickets
- Academic questions or issues relating to grades, attendance, re-entry/re-enrollment or support for study and learning techniques
Student Personal Issues
In addition, the Student Services Advisor is available to counsel students on and provide appropriate resources and referrals.
- Provide support for students facing domestic issues or challenges
- Provide support on emotional or mental health issues such as anxiety and depression.
- Work with students to develop interpersonal skills to interact effectively with others
- Provide fundamental counselling with the goal of stabilization and referral
- Direct students to in-depth counselling and support services that address their specific needs
- Ensure that students in crisis are supported and provided with access to emergency services
The Advisor will be available at the campus and virtually to resolve any conflicts as they arise and assist with mediating the situation when necessary.
Advise, direct and train staff in dealing with students in crisis and emergency situations.
- Provide staff professional development
- Provide staff training in areas such as mental health and learning disabilities
Meet our Student Services Advisor (Winnipeg)
Student Services Advisor
Fred will be available to meet with students between the hours of 9:30 and 1:00, Monday through Thursday. Students can contact Fred directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or book an appointment.
Fred Standil taught the Community Support Worker Program at Herzing Winnipeg from 2009 until January of 2020. With a background in communications, coupled with experience in social services and as a teacher, he brings a broad range of knowledge to his work in the classroom.
Academically, he is a graduate of the Creative Communications Program at Red River College, while holding a Bachelor of Education (History/English) from the University of Manitoba. As well, he has a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Counselling and Resource, also from the U of M.
During his time at Herzing, he has had occasion to act as an advocate and provide direction not only to his own students, but to the general population of Herzing students as issues arose. This has involved working to manage both personal issues and academic challenges which are not uncommon. Away from the college, he holds a keen interest in current events, media, sports and keeping updated with the latest trends in education and the helping field.
Click to read our interview with Fred and learn more about the support he can offer to students