As part of Herzing College’s ongoing commitment to student success and well-being, we are now offering student counselling services to our Winnipeg students. We plan to expand these offerings to other campus locations soon.
Role of the Student Services Advisor
The Student Services Advisor works collaboratively with faculty and staff to provide guidance to students to assist them in overcoming personal obstacles. They are responsible for coordinating a variety of student support services. One of the main responsibilities is creating an effective learning environment.
Student Support Services
Student Academic Issues
The Student Services Advisor assists students who are:
- Struggling to function in the classroom
- Returning to school after a long absence
- Dealing with learning issues such as dyslexia
The advisor can direct students to the appropriate people at the campus who require additional support in the following areas:
- Financial questions/problems
- Admissions and enrolment issues
- Time or resource management
- Bus tickets
- Academic questions or issues relating to grades, attendance, re-entry/re-enrolment, or study and learning techniques
Student Personal Issues
In addition, the Student Services Advisor is available to counsel students on personal issues and provide appropriate resources and referrals. They can:
- Provide support for students facing domestic issues or challenges
- Provide support on emotional or mental health issues such as anxiety and depression
- Work with students to develop interpersonal skills to interact effectively with others
- Provide fundamental counselling with the goal of stabilization and referral
- Direct students to in-depth counselling and support services that address their specific needs
- Ensure that students in crisis are supported and provided with access to emergency services
The advisor will be available at the campus and virtually to resolve any conflicts as they arise and assist with mediating the situation when necessary.
The advisor can also advise, direct, and train staff in dealing with students in crisis and emergency situations. They can provide staff training in areas such as mental health and learning disabilities.
Meet our Student Services Advisor
Fred is available to meet with students Monday through Thursday. Students can contact Fred directly at email@example.com to learn more or book an appointment.
Fred Standil taught the Community Support Worker Program at Herzing Winnipeg from 2009 until January 2020. With a background in communications, social services, and teaching, he brings a broad range of knowledge to his work in the classroom.
He is a graduate of the Creative Communications Program at Red River College and holds a Bachelor of Education (History/English) from the University of Manitoba. As well, he has a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Counselling and Resource, also from the U of M.
During his time at Herzing, he has had occasion to act as an advocate and provide direction not only to his own students, but to the general population of Herzing students as issues arose. This has involved working to manage both personal issues and academic challenges.
Away from the college, he holds a keen interest in current events, media, sports, and keeping updated with the latest trends in education and the helping field.
Click the links below to learn more about Fred and read his articles