Medical Office Assistant Courses in Winnipeg
- Anatomy and Physiology I
- This course introduces the foundations of the language of medicine and develops medical vocabulary through the study of the structures, functions, diagnostic procedures, pathology, and treatment procedures of the body systems. Topics include medical terminology; the structure of the human body; and the skeletal, muscular, lymphatic, immune, digestive, nervous, and endocrine systems.
- Office Procedures
- This course provides an introduction to health care offices practices and procedures. Topics include reception and booking appointments; patient records management; telephone and mail procedures; health insurance plans; financial records and inventory control; procedures manuals; health associations; and legal responsibilities and ethical behaviour.
- Anatomy and Physiology II
- This course provides instruction in the organization and structure of the body components (anatomy) and their functions (physiology). Topics include the study of chemistry as related to the body; cell structure, tissues and membranes; and the integumentary, cardiovascular, respiratory, urinary, and reproductive systems.
- Clinical Documents
- This course provides training in correct transcription techniques and in the preparation of clinical documents, including patient charts, records, histories, and reports.
- Clinical Software
- This course introduces the application of clinical software for medical and clinical settings. Topics include system requirements and installation procedures; company and user setup; managing scheduling, files, and billing; creating reports; and using utilities.
- Clinical Procedures
- This course provides instruction in clinical procedures with focus on assisting the practitioner during patient examinations. Topics include medical asepsis and infection control; measuring vital signs and patient examinations; eye and ear assessments and procedures; tissue healing agents; sterilization and disinfection; minor office surgery; and emergency medical procedures.
- Laboratory Procedures
- This course provides instruction in medical laboratory procedures. Topics include the clinical laboratory; urinalysis; hematology and blood chemistry; medical microbiology; electrocardiography; radiology and diagnostic imaging; and specialty examinations and procedures.
- Word Processing
- This course presents the practical application of the concepts and features of Microsoft Word. Topics include formatting text and documents; creating and formatting tables; working with graphics; integrating information with other programs; managing styles and templates, working with columns, merging documents; file management techniques; collaborating on documents; and creating forms.
- Career Development
- This seminar provides an opportunity for the student to apply the techniques and processes for developing a career path and to learn lifetime career management tools and skills. Topics include career planning, job searching, developing career search documents, refining interview skills, and preparing for a new position.
- The internship component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in an industry environment. The industry shall be directly related to the student’s program of study. The internship requires full-time day attendance working in the industry setting. The duration of the internship is one month, during which the student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 4 weeks of work experience.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent (high school transcript to be provided if under the age of 19), or a mature student (certified that the student is 19 years of age or over and have not attended high school in the last twelve months)
- Pass an entrance assessment administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out! Try our Career Exploration Kit
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Readiness score now.