Legal Assistant Courses in Winnipeg
- Word Processing
- This course presents Microsoft® Word where documents are created, edited, and printed. Topics include creating, formatting, and editing documents, table features, creating styles and templates, column management, merge techniques, creating forms and charts, and linking with other programs.
- Legal Office Procedures
- This course provides an introduction to the office practices and procedures of legal firms. Topics include the legal environment, ethics and the law, telecommunication procedures, reception duties, the management of work and time, proofreading skills, records management, document preparation, and billing procedures.
- Family Law
- This course provides instruction in family law and the application of the various laws. Topics include the components of marriage and divorce, property division and support, the relationship of children to family law, and the documentation and procedures related to family law.
- Wills and Estates
- This course provides instruction in the law governing wills and estates. Topics include the preparation of wills, the powers and duties of lawyers and executors, administration of wills, and beneficiary administration.
- Corporate Law
- This course provides instruction in corporate law, which governs the formation and operation of business organizations. Topics include the organizational structure of businesses, the responsibilities and liabilities of corporations, directors, and shareholders, and the administration of corporate law.
- This course provides practical instruction in litigation and the application of tort laws. Topics include the foundations of the legal system, civil procedures and compensation, negligence and unintentional torts, intentional torts, Legal Aid, and the preparation of documentation related to litigation.
- Real Estate – Purchase
- This course provides instruction in the laws governing real property and the purchase of real property. Topics include the nature of real property, the purchase of real property, mortgages, and the documentation and correspondence relating to the purchase of real estate.
- Real Estate – Sales and Contracts
- This course provides instruction in real property law and contract law. Topics include how contracts are formed, completing and discharging contracts, landlord and tenant legislation, real property sales, and the documentation and correspondence relating to real estate sales and contracts.
- Career Development
- This seminar provides an opportunity for the student to apply the techniques and processes for developing a career path and to learn lifetime career management tools and skills. Topics include career planning, job searching, developing career search documents, refining interviewing skills, and preparing for a new position.
- The internship component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in a legal office environment. The industry shall be directly related to the student’s program of study. The internship requires full-time day attendance working in the industry setting. The duration of the internship is one month, during which the student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 90 hours of work experience.
• Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
• Pass an entrance test administrated by Herzing College
• Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out! Take the Herzing “Career Training Readiness Quiz”
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Readiness score now.