Medical Office Administration Training Program
Learn healthcare software, appointment scheduling, clinic reception, billing, transcription, and records management. Qualify for medical office jobs at clinics and hospitals throughout Ottawa. Start your career in just 7 months.
Is Medical Office Administration the Right Career for You?
Medical office administrators are important members of every clinic and hospital team. They assist doctors and nurses, help manage the medical office, and handle appointments and billing for patients.
Typical duties for medical office administrators include:
- Greeting patients at the clinic or hospital reception desk
- Answering phone calls, emails, and other requests for information
- Scheduling patient appointments
- Updating and organizing patient records
- Processing billing and health insurance
- Managing clinic inventory
Medical office assistants must be computer-savvy, organized, detail-oriented, and have excellent communication skills.
These are the skills you will learn in our Medical Office Administration program.
Herzing Medical Office Administration Training Program
Hrezing’s Medical Office Administration training program teaches the practical skills you need to get hired in any clinic or hospital. This training is quick, hands-on, and includes real work experience.
- 7-month diploma program
- 4-week internship in a clinical setting
- In-depth training on medical billing and healthcare office software
- Expert instructors with many years of healthcare and clinical experience
- Step-by-step help from our Career Development team to find your first medical office job
- Includes certificates in First Aid, CPR, and Vital Signs Clinic
- Financial assistance may be available to those who qualify
- Multiple start-dates; enroll at any time
- 90% graduate employment rate in 2019 (based on most recent available data)
“I had a very good experience in Herzing’s Medical Office Administration program. I loved my instructors and the classes were fun and engaging. I did my internship at Carefor Health and Community Services, and they hired me right after graduation. Now I’m working full-time as a Client Service Coordinator.” (Priscilla Grant)
There is steady demand for skilled medical office administrators in Ottawa. Successful graduates will find job opportunities at:
- Dental offices
- Medical clinics
- Physiotherapy clinics
- Chiropractic offices
- Extended care facilities
Typical job titles in this field include:
- Medical Office Assistant
- Chiropractic Receptionist
- Chiropractic Office Assistant
- Dental Office Coordinator
- Dental Receptionist
- Medical Office Receptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Client Service Coordinator
- Medical Office Administrator
Who Hires Herzing Grads?
Graduates of our Medical Office Administration training program have been hired by:
The Medical Office Administration program teaches medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, computer applications, and medical office scheduling and billing software.
In this program, you will learn:
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- How to manage a clinic reception desk
- How to schedule appointments
- Industry-standard healthcare software, including Abel Med and Abel Dent
- How to process billing and insurance
- Medical transcription techniques
- How to prepare patient charts, records, histories, and reports
- How to manage inventory and order supplies
- Medical terminology
- Diagnostic and treatment procedures
- Human anatomy and physiology
Click to see a detailed description of Medical Office Administration courses:
This course provides an introduction to the Microsoft® Windows operating system, Internet Explorer browser, and Outlook information manager; word processing, and data processing applications. In addition, this course offers an introduction to applications and procedures specific to Herzing College.
This course provides an introduction to health care offices practices and procedures. Topics include reception and booking appointments; patient records management; telephone and mail procedures; health insurance plans; financial records and inventory control; procedures manuals; health associations; and legal responsibilities and ethical behavior. The billing process with software packages such as Abel Med and Abel Dent are also covered.
This course provides training in correct transcription techniques and in the preparation of clinical documents, including patient charts, records, histories, and reports.
This course introduces the application of clinical software for medical and dental (AbelDent) settings. Topics include system requirements and installation procedures; company and user setup; managing scheduling, files, and billing; creating reports; and using utilities.
This course provides instruction in written English. Topics include grammar, word usage, and proofreading. Students will learn how to create formal and informal documents such as emails, memos, reports, and letters using proper grammar, sentence structure and writing techniques.
This course studies of the principles and features of a presentation graphics package, Microsoft® PowerPoint. The preparation and delivery of presentations and the development of effective communication skills that increase self-confidence are also the focus of this course.
This course presents and explores the features of Microsoft® Word. Various documents are created, edited and printed, using features such as spell checker, edit and tool commands, tables, mail merges and formatting tools. The tasks required for the proficient level of the Office User Specialist program are covered. Upon completion of this course, motivated students will have reached the proficient level of the MS Office User Specialist program.
This course presents the practical application of the concepts and features of a spreadsheet package using Microsoft® Excel. Topics include using and managing worksheets and workbooks; applying formatting and style features; working with data, formul as, and functions; managing charts and graphics; working with outlines, views, and reports; automating tasks with the macro feature; using auditing tools, collaborative tools, and hyperlinks; and integrating with other programs.
This course presents the practical application of the concepts and features of a scheduling package (using Microsoft® Outlook). Topics include using the calendar; entering one-time and recurring appointments; using the Date Navigator; moving and editing appointments; and integrating with other programs.
This course provides the study of the principles and features of a database management system using Microsoft® Access. Topics include creating and managing databases, data management and integrity, working with queries and forms, managing reports, using tools and macros, database and file management, analyzing and filtering data and relational databases.
This course introduces the foundations of the language of human anatomy and medicine. Medical vocabulary is understood through the study of the structure and organization of the human body components (anatomy) and their functions (physiology). Discussions of the pathologies, diagnostic and treatment procedures of the body include the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular, lymphatic, immune, respiratory, digestive, urinary, nervous, integumentary, endocrine, and reproductive systems.
This course provides a critical examination of issues embedded in the practice of providing client service. Topics include research about best practice in customer service and communication techniques; psychologically based methods for dealing with the management of customer complaints; and the roles of a customer service employee and supervisor within ethical boundaries and common business practice. This course deals with the development of the student’s career path, including job search skills.
The internship component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in an industry environment. The industry shall be directly related to the student’s program of study. While on internship, students must complete at least the minimum number of hours over the length of the internship. Prerequisite: All academic courses in the program.
I bring with me many years of customer service skills; time spent in management and several years in a fast-paced hospital billing office. I feel I bring a multitude of strengths and knowledge to the program. I strive to be professional with efficiency and dedication to each student and fellow staff member.
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administrated by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
SAMPLE SALARY RANGE:
$33,600 to $38,400
(Medical clinic receptionist)
7 Months (20 hours/week)
Includes 4 week internship
2019 Program Employment Rate
90% of available Herzing College Ottawa program graduates were employed in a related field.
2019 Overall Healthcare Student Employment Rate
94% of available Herzing College Ottawa healthcare graduates were employed in a related field.
2019 Overall Graduate Employment Rate
94% of available Herzing College Ottawa graduates were employed in a related field.
*statistics based on most recent available
Why Choose this Program?
Herzing Ottawa Medical Office Administration training is fast, effective, and trusted by employers. Here’s why Herzing should be your first choice:
- 7-month program that gets you job-ready fast
- 4-week internship for real work experience
- Many students get hired straight out of their internship
- Learn from caring instructors with years of healthcare experience
- Small class sizes where every student gets step-by-step support
- Get access to the Herzing Open Education Program (HOEP), which lets you take additional healthcare courses after you graduate, tuition-free!
- An amazing Career Development team, who helps create your resume, prepare for interviews, and apply for medical office jobs
- Friendly, welcoming campus with students of all ages and backgrounds
- Our grads get hired! In 2019, 90% of available Herzing Ottawa Medical Office Administration graduates were employed in a related field (based on most recent available data)