Legal Assistant Program
Qualify to work at law firms, corporate legal departments, and government agencies with Herzing Winnipeg’s Legal Assistant program. Internship included. Study on campus or online.
What is a Legal Assistant?
Legal assistants provide administrative support to lawyers and help law offices run smoothly. Legal assistants perform many tasks, from answering phones and scheduling appointments, to preparing legal documents and helping lawyers get ready for trial.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Scheduling appointments, meetings, and conferences for lawyers
- Setting up and maintaining client files
- Proofreading and editing documents
- Transcribing documents
- Preparing legal documents such as wills, affidavits, deeds, briefs, and real estate contracts
- Conducting legal research
- Answering phones and responding to emails
- Attending court
- Attending meetings to take notes and dictation
- Processing client billing
Herzing College Legal Assistant Program
Herzing College offers comprehensive, flexible Legal Assistant training. Our students study 5 different areas of law, learn legal office skills, and become familiar with a wide range of legal documents.
- 9-month diploma program (20 hours per week, Monday – Thursday)
- Study on campus or online
- 4-week internship
- Multiple program start-dates throughout the year
- Financial assistance is available for students who qualify
“Our goal is to get students working as Legal Assistants as quickly as possible. The training is very hands-on. We cover all the main types of legal documents and theory. Many of our graduates get hired at law offices or courthouses. Herzing’s Legal Assistant program is an excellent preparation for the real world of legal work.” (Instructor, Nicole Page)
There are excellent job opportunities for legal assistants in Manitoba. The Government of Canada Job Bank predicts good growth in this field, and steady demand for legal assistants over the next 10 years.
Graduates of Herzing Winnipeg Legal Assistant program are qualified for positions at:
- Law firms
- Corporate legal departments
- Government agencies
- Real Estate companies
- Land title offices
- Municipal, provincial and federal courts
Legal Assistant Jobs in Manitoba
There are legal assistant jobs in every area of law, including litigation, real estate, corporate law, and family law.
Legal assistant job titles in Manitoba include:
- Corporate legal assistant
- Legal secretary
- Real estate secretary
- Legal assistant
- Legal assistant – criminal law
- Litigation legal assistant
Who Hires Herzing Grads?
Graduates of our Legal Assistant program have been hired at:
Herzing Winnipeg Legal Assistant Program delivers practical, hands-on training in Corporate Law, Real Estate, Wills and Estates, Litigation, and Family Law.
Legal Assistant courses include Microsoft Word training, legal document preparation, how to conduct legal research, office procedures, proofreading, record management, transcription, and billing.
Click to see a detailed description of Legal Assistant courses.
This course presents Microsoft® Word where documents are created, edited, and printed. Topics include creating, formatting, and editing documents, table features, creating styles and templates, column management, merge techniques, creating forms and charts, and linking with other programs.
This course provides an introduction to the office practices and procedures of legal firms. Topics include the legal environment, ethics and the law, telecommunication procedures, reception duties, the management of work and time, proofreading skills, records management, document preparation, and billing procedures.
This course provides instruction in family law and the application of the various laws. Topics include the components of marriage and divorce, property division and support, the relationship of children to family law, and the documentation and procedures related to family law.
This course provides instruction in the law governing wills and estates. Topics include the preparation of wills, the powers and duties of lawyers and executors, administration of wills, and beneficiary administration.
This course provides instruction in corporate law, which governs the formation and operation of business organizations. Topics include the organizational structure of businesses, the responsibilities and liabilities of corporations, directors, and shareholders, and the administration of corporate law.
This course provides practical instruction in litigation and the application of tort laws. Topics include the foundations of the legal system, civil procedures and compensation, negligence and unintentional torts, intentional torts, Legal Aid, and the preparation of documentation related to litigation.
This course provides instruction in the laws governing real property and the purchase of real property. Topics include the nature of real property, the purchase of real property, mortgages, and the documentation and correspondence relating to the purchase of real estate.
This course provides instruction in real property law and contract law. Topics include how contracts are formed, completing and discharging contracts, landlord and tenant legislation, real property sales, and the documentation and correspondence relating to real estate sales and contracts.
This seminar provides an opportunity for the student to apply the techniques and processes for developing a career path and to learn lifetime career management tools and skills. Topics include career planning, job searching, developing career search documents, refining interviewing skills, and preparing for a new position.
The internship component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in a legal office environment. The industry shall be directly related to the student’s program of study. The internship requires full-time day attendance working in the industry setting. The duration of the internship is one month, during which the student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 4 weeks of work experience.
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
9 Months (20 hours/week, M-TH)
Includes 4 week internship
On Campus, Online, Hybrid (Flex-Ed)
Learn it your way
Education your way. A convenient online learning environment with the option to work at the campus and receive support from your instructor. Students can choose to work completely or partially online and come to the campus during set hours each day to meet with their instructor and use our facilities.
2021 Overall Graduate Employment Rate
85% of available Herzing College Winnipeg graduates were employed in a related field.
*statistics based on most recent available
Your Next Steps
Ready to learn more about the Legal Assistant program? It’s easy to get started. Choose from the following options:
- Fill out the form to ask questions via email
- Chat live with an Admissions Advisor to get your questions answered now
- Click Request Info to get started today!
Why Choose this Program?
- Learn from caring instructors with decades of professional legal experience
- Study in small groups, where every student gets step-by-step instructor support
- Fit classes around your busy schedule with our convenient online training options
- Learn the legal office skills Winnipeg employers want
- Get real work experience with a 4-week internship
- Graduate in just 9 months
- Get access to the Herzing Open Education Program (HOEP), which lets you take additional courses after you graduate, tuition-free!
- Exceptional Career Development team, who helps create your resume, prepare for interviews, and apply for legal assistant jobs