Graphic Design Certificate Program
Hands-on training in Adobe Illustrator, Indesign, and Photoshop. Learn basic coding, website design, and creative solutions for print and digital. Graduate in just 10 months with a professional portfolio and real work experience.
*This program is currently available online*
What is Graphic Design?
Graphic design is the art of creating visual content that communicates a message and inspires a response. Graphic design can be creative and ground-breaking—or strictly practical and functional. It all depends on what the client needs.
Graphic designers work with digital and print, designing everything from album covers and business logos, to websites and television shows.
A quality Graphic Design certificate program will prepare you to perform the following professional responsibilities:
- Consult with clients to determine design goals and concepts
- Prepare initial sketches and layouts for client approval
- Produce final illustrations and graphics using CAD software
- Generate 2D and 3D animated drawings/computer illustrations
- Help to create storyboards for multimedia and digital productions, television, and advertising
- Design print materials, such as product packaging, books, business cards, and stationary
- Create logos and other branding elements
- Estimate costs for design projects
- Create website designs, including wireframes, layouts, and mockups
- Edit designs based on client feedback
- Oversee the entire design process, from initial concept to final production
Herzing Toronto Graphic Design Certificate Program
Herzing’s Graphic Design certificate program teaches today’s most important design software. Students hone their skills by creating a wide range of digital and print designs. This is a hands-on, project based program.
By the end of the training, you will have a professional graphic design portfolio, plus real work experience through a 6-week internship.
- 10-month accelerated Graphic Design certificate program (20 hours/week)
- 6-week graphic design internship
- Hands-on training in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver
- Learn CSS3 and HTML5 to create your own web pages and animations
- Learn the principles of graphic design, layout, typography, and colour theory
- Practice creating and producing print designs
- Understand how to plan and design websites
- Multiple program start-dates throughout the year
- Financial assistance is available for students who qualify
“I researched 6 different colleges that offered Graphic Design training, but Herzing was the only school that met all my requirements. The course is affordable and offers current software training in the Adobe Suite of applications. I had a great internship and graduated with an amazing skillset. I would highly recommend Herzing’s Graphic Design program.” (Katherine Gray, Graphic Design graduate)
See student work and class photos on Instagram under #herzingdesign
Toronto is the ideal place to start a career in graphic design. The GTA is home to hundreds of design firms, marketing and advertising agencies, and many other organizations who hire graphic designers.
Find employment opportunities with:
- Film and television companies
- Marketing and advertising firms
- Graphic design firms
- Municipalities (for example, creating signage, posters and digital media for the city or the TTC)
- Publishing and media companies
- Private businesses (for branding, packaging, website design, etc.)
Career Options & Job Opportunities for Graphic Designers
Graphic designers enjoy many career options and opportunities for specialization. Herzing graduates are qualified to pursue careers in Print, Illustration, Web Design, UI/UX Design, Mobile App Design, Game Design, Video Content Marketing, Content Creation, Film, Animation, and more.
Graphic design jobs include positions like:
- Art Director
- Web Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Motion Graphics Designer
- Brand Designer
- Interactive Designer
Who Hires Herzing Graduates?
Graduates of our Graphic Design certificate program have been hired by many companies in the GTA, including:
Herzing Graphic Design courses prepare students to create functional, beautiful designs for both print and digital. From websites to business cards (and everything in between), this program provides an excellent foundation in Adobe design software and technical skills.
Click to see a detailed description of Graphic Design courses
This course provides the opportunity to develop knowledge and skill in graphics using Photoshop. Photoshop topics include working with file size and format; using Web-safe color palettes and managing color; image masking and image compression; Graphics Interface File (GIF) and Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) file formats; using tools to alter photographs; and applying filters and effects. 4 Weeks.
This course provides the opportunity to develop knowledge and skill in the production and manipulation of vector graphics. Topics include drawing, stroke and fill, shape tools, freeform drawing, manipulating objects, appearance, drawing aids, importation and conversion of bitmaps to vectors. 4 weeks.
This course provides the opportunity to develop knowledge and skill in planning and developing well designed and effective client-side Web pages that meet an organization’s business objectives and address appropriate audience requirements. Adobe Dreamweaver software will be the main tools used for teaching. Topics include basic design strategies; planning and designing web pages; progressive enhancement, responsive web design (RWD), maintenance, assessment, and continuous improvement procedures and an overview of client-side web site types. Projects developed during this portion will also be added to the student’s online portfolio. Students will use HTML5 and CSS to create both simple and complex web pages. 7 weeks.
This course provides the opportunity to develop knowledge and skill in the art of typography. Topics include the evolution of typography, type basics, and categories of type, elements of type, controlling type within documents, designing with type, type and the Internet and the mechanics of type. This is a great opportunity to review layout programs. 4 weeks.
This course provides the opportunity to develop knowledge and skill in the graphic design and layout principles. Topics include choosing the right shape to work on, correct line proportion, colour theory, selecting typefaces for headings and text. Projects will include designing stationery, business cards, colour brochures, advertising inserts for direct mail and point of sale packages. 4 weeks.
Type, illustration and photography are combined in this subject to solve design communication problems. The student draws on all the tools available to assist in solving the industry-based problems presented. 4 weeks.
This course covers the information students need to prepare designs for print. Students will be able to properly set up files, understand print terminology, work effectively with printers and familiarize themselves with the print production process as well as the technology involved. 2 weeks.
This course helps students establish the critical career links between their education and the social media industry. Students will be tasked with researching potential future employers. Topics include career planning research, job searching, graphical resumes and company profiling, and refining interview and communication skills. Students will post their social media resume online and participate in mock interviews. Students will also learn essential employment skills using the concepts of PRICE and The Pacific Institute training. 1 week.
The internship component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in an industry environment. The industry shall be directly related to the student’s program of study. The internship recommends full-time day attendance working in the industry setting. The duration of the internship is six weeks, during which the student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 hours of work experience.
In 2008, he discovered Herzing’s Graphic Design program through a family connection. During training, the instructor noticed Miguel’s talent, and after graduation hired him as a teaching assistant.
Fast-forward 10 years, and Miguel has taken over the program as instructor. Coming full circle from student to teacher, he now helps other talented designers hone their craft and launch successful careers.
Learn more about Miguel and the program in our blog post
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent (Ontario high school diploma or equivalent) or a mature student (19 years of age or older and has been removed from full-time high school for minimum 2 years)
*Students applying as mature students must demonstrate appropriate levels of math, English literacy, comprehension and/or written skills to warrant success and completion of program
- Pass an entrance test administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
SAMPLE SALARY RANGE:
$35,520 to $53,760
10 Months (20 hours/week)
Includes 6 week internship
2020 Overall Graduate Employment Rate
87% of available Herzing College Toronto graduates were employed in a related field.
*statistics based on most recent available
Your Next Steps
Ready to learn more about the Graphic Design certificate program? It’s easy to get started. Choose from the following options:
- Fill out the form to ask questions via email
- Chat live with an Admissions Advisor to get your questions answered now
- Click Apply Now to get your application started today!
Why Choose this Program?
Herzing’s Graphic Design certificate program is fast and effective. Our students learn the graphic design software employers want, and get real work experience to launch their careers.
Here is why Herzing should be your first choice for graphic design training.
- Graduate and start working in just 10 months
- Learn from caring instructors with years of professional graphic design experience
- Small classes where every student gets step-by-step support
- 6-week internship to build your confidence and get experience for your resume
- Get access to the Herzing Open Education Program (HOEP), which lets you take additional courses after you graduate, tuition-free!
- Exceptional Career Development team, who helps create your resume, prepare for interviews, and apply for graphic design jobs