Herzing College Skilled Trades
Appliance Service Technician Course
Learn how to install, service, and repair all major home appliances. Train on the latest appliances, using cutting-edge diagnostic tools and techniques. Whirlpool Canada hires successful graduates right out of our program! Start your career in just 24 weeks.
What is an Appliance Service Technician?
Appliance service technicians maintain and repair the essential appliances we rely on every day. They install and service washers, dryers, dishwashers, ranges, built-in ovens, counter cook top units, microwaves, refrigerators, and freezers.
How do you become an appliance service technician? To land a good job in this field, you need:
- Deep knowledge of all major home appliances
- Excellent trouble-shooting skills
- Electronic/diagnostic skills
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Computer/technology skills
- Job safety training
Your first step is completing a quality Appliance Service Technician course. You do not need to get certified or earn a license to work in this trade.
A comprehensive training program will teach you the appliance repair skills you need to get hired, right after graduation.
Herzing College Appliance Service Technician Course
Herzing’s Appliance Service Technician course is based on the skills major appliance companies are looking for. This training is fast, effective, and has an excellent graduate employment rate.
- 24-week program
- Flexible day and evening classes available
- Highly skilled instructors with years of industry experience
- Latest appliances and training materials supplied by Whirlpool Canada
- State-of-the-art training facility that simulates a real work environment
- Multiple program start-dates throughout the year
- Tools and safety gear are included in your tuition
- Loans, government training grants, and scholarships may be available for students who qualify (our Admissions team will help you apply)
- 100% program graduate employment rate for 2019 (statistic based on available graduates and most recent data)
Our Unique Partnership with Whirlpool Canada
Herzing College is an official training partner of Whirlpool Canada. Whirlpool selected Herzing to be part of its “Technician Pipeline” program. Together, we are preparing the next generation of skilled appliance service technicians.
How do you benefit from the partnership?
- Whirlpool Canada supplies the latest appliances for our students to train on
- Whirlpool provides our instructors with the latest training materials
- Our students learn cutting-edge electronics/diagnostic skills
- Whirlpool hires successful graduates right out of our program
Click to meet graduates of our Appliance Service Technician course who got hired by Whirlpool:
Safety Certifications Included in the Appliance Service Technician Course
Employers prefer to hire appliance service technicians who are certified in job safety. To give our students a competitive edge, this program includes the following safety certifications::
- Working at Heights
- Elevating Work Platforms
- Lockout & Tag Safety
- Scaffold Users’ Hazard Awareness
- Confined Spaces Hazard Awareness
There is strong demand for skilled appliance service technicians in Ontario. Whirlpool Canada reports a serious shortage of technicians trained in the latest diagnostics and appliance technologies.
Many companies can’t find enough qualified candidates to fill available positions.
There’s never been a better time to start your career. Take advantages of excellent job opportunities at leading companies like Whirlpool Canada!
Job Options for Appliance Service Technician Graduates
Appliance service technicians have several different career options. Employers include:
- Major appliance sales companies
- Large apartment owners
- Small independent service companies
- Commercial restaurant equipment industry
Who Hires Our Grads?
Graduates of our Appliance Service Technician program have been hired by several leading companies, including:
- Whirlpool Canada
- Groves Appliance
Herzing’s Appliance Service Technician course covers appliance installation and repair, schematics diagrams, appliance safety, electronics, parts look-up, soldering and brazing.
In this program you will learn:
- How to safely and properly use hand and power tools
- How to take apart and assemble appliances
- How to service, maintain, and install a wide variety of home appliances
- The electrical, electronics and plumbing aspects related to servicing appliances
- Soldering and brazing related to appliance installation and servicing
- How to interpret electrical schematics and charts
- How to look up and identify parts needed to service appliances
- The principles of excellent customer service for appliance service technicians
- How to write a professional resume, prepare for interviews, and work with timesheets
- Electrical and mechanical safety requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Environmental refrigerant laws (ODP)
- How to safely use Mapp & acetylene torches
Click to see a description of each Appliance Service Technician course.
Students learn about electrical and mechanical safety requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, safe work place practices and procedures, environmental refrigerant laws (ODP), the use of Mapp & acetylene torches, Lock Out & Tag Safety, Propane in Construction, WHMIS and Confined Spaces Hazard Awareness training.
Students will be trained in the proper use of hand and power tools as well as servicing, repairing and installing major appliances. They will have an understanding of electrical, electronics and plumbing aspects related to the servicing of appliances. Students will be trained in soldering and brazing.
Students will have the skills to read and understand electrical and electronic schematics and charts. They will have the knowledge to look up and identify parts needed for the servicing of appliances.
Resume Writing, Interview, Customer Service, Communications and Timesheet Skills Training.
Senior appliance repair technician, 2nd tier support, team leader and instructor.
I expect high standards from my students. The industry is rapidly changing, growing, demanding and you must be ready.
Your success depends on:
Thirst for knowledge | Strive to perfection | Stubborn as a donkey
My motto: Survive me and the work outside will be a breeze
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Meet any additional program specific entrance requirements
SAMPLE AVERAGE SALARY RANGE:
$40,000 to $42,720
(Appliance service technician)
Day and Evening Classes Available
2019 Program Employment Rate
100% of available Appliance Service Technician graduates were employed in a related field.
2019 Overall Graduate Employment Rate
88% of available Herzing College Skilled Trades graduates were employed in a related field.
*statistics based on most recent available
Your Next Steps
Ready to learn more about the Appliance Service Technician course? It’s easy to get started. Choose from the following options:
- Fill out the form to ask questions via email
- Chat live with an Admissions Advisor to get your questions answered now
- Click Apply Now to get your application started today!
Why Choose this Program?
Herzing’s Appliance Service Technician program is fast, effective, and has a proven track record of successful grads.
Our partnership with Whirlpool Canada gives our students a huge advantage in the classroom and on the job market. Here’s why this program should be your first choice:
- Affordable 24-week program that gets you job-ready fast
- Train on the latest Whirlpool appliances, using cutting-edge tools and techniques
- Opportunity to get hired at Whirlpool Canada after graduation
- Learn how to install, service, and repair a wide variety of major appliances
- Hands-on training taught by highly experienced instructors
- Herzing College is a Merit Ontario, CLAC Union-approved training facility
- Eligible grads are admitted to Merit Ontario and CLAC union
- Tools and safety gear are included in your tuition
- Valuable safety certifications are included in the program
- Herzing’s Career Development team helps you create your resume, prepare for interviews, and apply for appliance technician jobs
- We help you apply for government training grants, loans, and scholarships to lower your tuition costs
- Small class sizes, fun learning environment, great staff
- Herzing College has a 55-year track record of respected career training
- Our grads get hired! 100% graduate employment rate in 2019 (based on available graduates and most recent data)