Get a detailed breakdown of four potential paths and see where your training can take you.
Administrative Assistant Program
Learn the computer software, communication, basic accounting, and administrative skills you need to get hired in any office. Graduate in just 7 months.
What Does an Administrative Assistant Do?
Administrative assistants help businesses run smoothly by providing clerical support, answering client requests, scheduling appointments, and organizing projects.
Typical responsibilities for administrative assistants include:
- Answering phones and emails
- Handling reception
- Organizing and updating files
- Scheduling appointments and meetings
- Setting up for meetings
- Entering data
- Ordering supplies
- Providing customer service
- Preparing and formatting documents and reports
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail
- Assisting with basic accounting and bookkeeping tasks
This is exactly what we teach in the Administrative Assistant program at Herzing College Winnipeg.
Herzing College Administrative Assistant Program Overview
The Administrative Assistant program is fast, flexible, and based on the skills employers want.
- 7-month diploma program (20 hours per week, Monday – Thursday)
- Training includes a 4-week internship
- Career support to find your first job after graduation
- Multiple program start dates throughout the year
- Financial assistance is available for students who qualify
Winnipeg offers many employment options for skilled administrative assistants. The latest Government of Canada Job Bank report predicts stable demand for this occupation for the next 10 years.
Graduates of Herzing’s Administrative Assistant program are qualified to work at:
- Small-to-medium sized businesses
- Large corporations
- Government agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Educational institutions
- Insurance companies
Administrative Assistant Career Options
Typical job titles in office administration include:
- Administrative Assistant
- Office Assistant
- Office Clerk
- Executive Assistant
Who Hires our Graduates?
Graduates of our Administrative Assistant program have been hired by:
The Administrative Assistant program teaches practical skills, such as Microsoft Office, typing, office procedures, oral and written communication, basic accounting, and how to manage a reception desk.
Click below for a full description of each administrative assistant course.
This course develops a student’s written communication skills. Emphasis is placed on the principles of effective written communication, which includes understanding the communication process and grammar fundamentals, writing various types of memos, letters, and reports, and editing and proof-reading. The Internet is used as an information resource and a communication medium.
This course presents Microsoft Word where documents are created, edited, and printed. Topics include creating, formatting, and editing documents, table features, creating styles and templates, column management, merge techniques, pictures and drawing tools, creating forms and charts, linking with other programs.
This introductory basic accounting course presents the accounting cycle beginning with journalizing transactions and ending with the production of financial statements. Topics include accounting concepts and practices, recording transactions, adjusting accounts, preparation of worksheets and the closing process, and preparation of financial statements for service and merchandising businesses.
This course provides the study of the elements and principles of a database management system using Microsoft Access. Topics include creating databases and tables, entering and editing data, queries and filters, creating and customizing forms, creating and printing reports, customizing fields and tables, data and file management, relational databases, and linking to other documents and the Web.
This course provides the opportunity to study the operation and application of Microsoft® Excel, a spreadsheet package. Topics include building a spreadsheet, creating formulas, using functions, creating charts, maps, and graphics, list and data management, worksheet and workbook management, creating and printing reports, designing and creating forms, operations, data analysis, and connectivity with other programs.
This course provides instruction and training in administrative methods and procedures in various office settings. Topics include human relations, management of work, time, and resources, information management, front-line reception activities, telecommunications in the office, and administrative support services.
This seminar provides an opportunity for the student to apply the techniques and processes for developing a career path and to learn lifetime career management tools and skills. Topics include career planning, job searching, developing career search documents, refining interview skills, and preparing for a new position
The internship component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in an industry environment. The industry shall be directly related to the student’s program of study. The internship requires full-time day attendance working in the industry setting. The duration of the internship is one month, during which the student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 4 weeks of work experience.
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
7 months (20 hours/week, M-TH)
Includes 4 week internship
TRY OUR CAREER EXPLORATION KIT
Our online kit takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for.
2022 Overall Graduate Employment Rate
82% of available Herzing College Winnipeg graduates were employed in a related field.
*statistics based on most recent available
Your Next Steps
Ready to learn more about the Administrative Assistant program? It’s easy to get started. Choose from the following options:
- Fill out the form to ask questions via email
- Chat live with an Admissions Advisor to get your questions answered now
- Click Request Info to get your application started today!
Why Choose this Program?
- Graduate in 7 months
- Get real work experience with a 4-week internship
- Hands-on training in office software and administrative procedures
- Learn from caring instructors with decades of professional business experience
- Study in small groups, where every student gets step-by-step support
- Fit classes around your busy schedule with our convenient online training options
- Enjoy the Herzing Open Education Program (HOEP), which lets you take additional business courses after you graduate, tuition-free!
- Our Career Development team helps you create your resume, prepare for interviews, and apply for office assistant jobs