Accounting and Payroll Administration Program
Hands-on training in accounting software, bookkeeping, and payroll administration. Courses include preparation to become a certified Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP). Graduate in just 9 months, internship included.
What is Accounting and Payroll Administration?
*This program is currently available online*
Accounting and payroll administration involves key financial tasks every business needs to be successful. Primary responsibilities in this role include:
- Managing accounts receivable and payable
- Preparing and processing bills and invoices
- Preparing budgets
- Preparing the general ledger and journal entries
- Producing financial statements
- Inventory management
- General office tasks, filing, updating employee records
- Preparing and processing payroll
- Ensuring payroll compliance and following changes in payroll legislation
Herzing College Toronto Accounting and Payroll Administration Program
Herzing College Toronto’s Accounting and Payroll Administration program is fast, practical, and based on the skills Toronto employers want. Get a head start on becoming a Payroll Compliance Practitioner. Graduate with real work experience and a competitive edge in the field of accounting.
- 9-month Accounting and Payroll Administration diploma program
- Guaranteed 5-week internship
- Program includes one of three required courses to become a Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCPs have more job opportunities and higher earning potential)
- Multiple program start-dates throughout the year
- Financial assistance is available for students who qualify
Toronto offers many job opportunities in accounting and payroll administration. Possible employers include:
- Community organizations
- Government agencies
- Educational institutions
- Health services companies
Careers in Accounting and Payroll Administration
What jobs can you get after Accounting and Payroll Administration training? Herzing graduates are qualified for the following positions:
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounts Payable Administrator
- Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable Clerk
- Payroll Clerk
- Accounting Technician
Who Hires our Graduates?
Graduates of our Accounting and Payroll Administration program have been hired by:
- Earnscliffe Strategy Group
- Carefor Health and Community Services
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Camco Acura Automotive Group
- Revenue Canada
- Harris Computer System
- Minto Group
How Herzing Helps You Find an Accounting and Payroll Job
Herzing College Toronto helps every Accounting and Payroll student with their job search before and after graduation. We help you find employment by providing:
- Career Development training
- Real work experience through a 5-week internship (students may get hired straight out of their internship)
- Help creating your resume and cover letter
- Help locating and applying to accounting and payroll jobs online
- Mock interviews to build your confidence and prepare you to meet with potential employers
- Sending your resume to local employers who hire Herzing graduates
- Lifetime career support services
Herzing College Accounting and Payroll Administration courses teach the practical skills you need to get hired. Get hands-on training in Canadian accounting software, bookkeeping principles, managerial accounting, payroll processing, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access.
Click to see a detailed description of Accounting and Payroll courses.
This course covers the use of the Microsoft Office applications Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Topics include creating documents, editing text, creating tables, importing images, creating large documents, managing document sections, creating slideshows, managing themes, and using Outlook for email, calendars and tasks.
This course provides the study of the elements and principles of a database management system using Microsoft Access. Topics include entering and editing data, queries and filters, creating and customizing forms, creating and printing reports, and customizing fields and tables.
This introductory basic accounting course presents the accounting cycle beginning with journalizing transactions and ending with the production of financial statements. Topics include accounting concepts and practices, recording transactions, adjusting accounts, preparation of worksheets and the closing process, and preparation of financial statements for service and merchandising businesses.
This course is the continued application of accounting principles and practices as related to corporations and partnerships as well as the analysis of financial statements. Topics include capital assets, current and long-term liabilities, partnership accounting, organization and operation of corporations, reporting income and retained earnings, earnings per share, installment notes payable and bonds, statement of changes in financial position, and analyzing financial statements.
This course is designed to provide in-depth understanding of Sage 50, an integrated computerized accounting package, including payroll. Topics include the general ledger, accounts receivable transactions, accounts payable transactions, setting up company files, payroll transactions, inventory management, end-of-period processing, and generating financial statements and accounting reports.
The preparation and delivery of presentations and the development of effective communication skills that increase self- confidence will be the focus of this course. The development of group skills will be practiced and much of the time will be spent working in groups. This course also studies of the principles and features of a presentation graphics package, Microsoft® PowerPoint.
This course provides a basis of mathematics and arithmetic skills for students entering a business program to help prepare for accounting and other math related functions. Topics include working with decimal values, fraction calculations, cross-multiplication, proportions, percentage calculations, simple and compound interest, and preparing a personal budget.
This course provides the opportunity to study the operation and application of Microsoft Excel, a spreadsheet package. Topics include building a spreadsheet, creating formulas, using functions, creating charts, maps, and graphics, lists and data management, worksheet and workbook management, creating and printing reports.
Students who complete the course will know the payroll compliance responsibilities that affect organizations, be able to comprehend legislation, and be able to effectively communicate these to all stakeholders. This course will provide students with the payroll-related legislation affecting organizations, as well as the tools to find information and apply that information to different scenarios in relation to individual pay.
This seminar provides an opportunity for the student to apply the techniques and processes for developing a career path and to learn lifetime career management tools and skills. Topics include career-planning, job searching, writing resumes and cover letters, refining interview skills, and preparing for a new position.
The internship component of the program is the practical application of a student’s knowledge and skills in an industry environment. The industry shall be directly related to the student’s program of study. The internship requires full-time day attendance working in the industry setting. 100 Hours
What you need to get started.
- Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
- Pass an entrance test administered by Herzing College
- Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
- Note: admission to some programs may include additional requirements
SAMPLE SALARY RANGE:
$39,600 to $52,600
Includes 5 week internship
2019 Overall Business Student Employment Rate
100% of available Herzing College Toronto business graduates were employed in a related field.
2019 Overall Graduate Employment Rate
84% of available Herzing College Toronto graduates were employed in a related field.
*statistics based on most recent available
Your Next Steps
Ready to learn more about the Accounting and Payroll Administration diploma program? It’s easy to get started. Choose from the following options:
- Fill out the form to ask questions via email
- Chat live with an Admissions Advisor to get your questions answered now
- Click Apply Now to get your application started today!
Why Choose this Program?
Herzing College Toronto Accounting and Payroll Administration program is fast and effective. Our students learn the accounting software and skills employers want, combined with real work experience. Here is why Herzing should be your first choice:
- Learn from caring instructors with decades of professional accounting and payroll experience
- Small classes, where every student gets step-by-step support
- Get real work experience for your accounting resume with a 5-week internship
- Get a head start on becoming a certified Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP certification opens more job opportunities and higher salaries)
- Graduate and get to work in just 9 months
- Get access to the Herzing Open Education Program (HOEP), which lets you take additional business courses after you graduate, tuition-free!
- Exceptional Career Development team, who helps create your resume, prepare for interviews, and apply for accounting jobs