Personal Support Worker Training in Ottawa
The attitude, abilities and approach of Personal Support Workers are critical to the well-being and health of the people they support. Individuals in this role are general responsibly for assisting clients in homes/apartments in the community, and long-term care facilities with tasks of daily living. They must provide not only for the comfort, safety and well-being of their clients, but also demonstrate sensitivity and respect for those in their care.
This program teaches students the necessary knowledge and practical skills for employment as Personal Support Workers in a home or apartment in the community or in a long term care facility. Areas of study include interpersonal skills, safety, abuse, household management and meal preparation and assisting a personal with personal hygiene.
Certificates featured in the Personal Support Worker course: First Aid and CPR
Program length: 8 months, includes 11 week internship
This program is accredited by the NACC. The NACC PSW Program is based upon the Ontario Personal Support Worker Training Standard released in January 2016. The NACC program content, standards and guidelines, combined with the clinical component of the program, ensure that the graduates have the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful as a Personal Support Worker. It is a single training program that sets a common standard for Regulated Career Colleges, Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology and Boards of Education.
Personal Support Worker Careers
The Personal Support Worker program prepares graduates for employment in a home, apartment or in the community or in a long term care facility.
Examples of job titles: Personal Support Worker, Home Support Worker, Personal Aide, Home Care, Respite Worker – Home Support.
Examples employers for these positions: Oak Park Retirement Communities, Grace Manor, Carefor Health and Community Services, The Westwood
Average salary starting salary range (payscale.com): $28,000 – $40,000
*Statistics based on most recent available.
Personal Support Worker Courses in Ottawa
- PSW Foundations
- Safety and Mobility
- Body Systems
- Assisting a Person with Personal Hygiene
- Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
- Care Planning/Restorative Care/Documentation/Working in the Community
- Assisting the Family, Growth and Development
- Assisting the Dying Person
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Cognitive/Mental Health Issues and Brain Injuries
- Health Conditions
- Career Development
- First Aid and CPR
- Clinical Placement (Community)
- Clinical Placement (Facility)
• Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
• Pass an entrance test administrated by Herzing College
• Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
• Meet any additional program specific entrance requirements
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out!
Try our Career Exploration Kit
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Try our Career Exploration Kit