Computer Networking Technology
Computer Network Technicians establish, operate, maintain and co-ordinate the use of networks, software, hardware, and related computer equipment. Individuals in this role typically troubleshoot and provide IT support, install and maintain software, monitor network security, and perform back up operations.
This program provides skills, knowledge and practical experience to work effectively in positions including technical support, computer maintenance/repair, hardware/software installation and network administration. Areas of study include COMPTIA (A+, Net+, and Linux+), MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE and CCNA. The cost of the A+ certification is included in the course.
Program length: 12 months
Careers in Computer Networking Technology
The Computer Networking Technology program prepares graduates to work as a Technical Support Specialist, Service Technician, Network Specialist, Network Consultant, Network Administrator, Network Operations Analyst, Computer Support Specialist and Project Manager.
Examples of possible job titles: Helpdesk Coordinator, IT/Tech Support, Systems Technician, Service Desk Analyst, Network Support Technician.
Examples of employers: Fortinet, Nova Networks, Canada Post, Accentus, Department of National Defense, Health Canada
Sample average starting salary range (payscale.com): $34,000 - $37,000
*Statistics based on most recent available.
Computer Networking Technology Courses in Ottawa
• Computer Operating Systems
• A+ Certification Prep and Troubleshooting
• A+ Certification Prep and Troubleshooting II
• Computer Networks and Security (Net+)
• Wireless Networking Fundamentals
• Linux Administration
• Network/Server Operating Systems
• Cisco Router Foundations
• SQL Server™ Administrations
• Messaging Systems
• Directory Services Administration
• Network Infrastructure Administration
• Web Server Administration
• Career Development and Client Services
• Minimum of a Canadian high school grade 12 or equivalent, or a mature student
• Pass an entrance test administrated by Herzing College
• Be interviewed in detail regarding interest in the field
• Meet any additional program specific entrance requirements
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out!
Take the Herzing “Career Training Readiness Quiz”
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Readiness score now.