Courses in Graphic Design for the Web in Montreal
- Competency: Analyze e-business relationsLearning the basics of starting an online business. and you understanding the ways to promote a company online them is critical for any professional web design and/or web integration, concepts such as SEO, PPC and analytics help to a better understanding of how to push a business online and exploit its potential to the maximum. This course covers the most important tools provided by Google to maximize results such as Google Analytics and Google Adwords, students get a wide understanding from registering a domain, getting a hosting, to create an adwords campaign and get a PayPal account for ecommerce by securing transactions with SSL certificates.
- Markup Language Programming (HTML/CSS)
- Competency: Create hypertext documentsThis course provides instruction in the fundamentals, standards, and compliance of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) according to W3C, working extensible in the most recent version of HTML and CSS (HTML5 / CSS3), as well as an overview of Dynamic HTML (DHTML) and, Extensible HTML (XHTML). Topics include creating HTML documents and adding text, graphics, and multimedia; using table-less design (divisions only), although the use of tables and other non-deprecated elements such as iframes are also covered; the course also includes designing Web pages and scripting for HTML and XHTML; working with styles, design and positioning with CSS3. Students learn to validate their code against W3C standards and get the seal of compliance in their pages. The software used in the semester to create HTML pages will be Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Competency: Use Internet toolsTopics include programming fundamentals and algorithm logic; this course provides the basics on understanding how the programming language logic diverse from the human logical thinking, through the use of variables, arrays, functions, properties and methods this course breaks the barrier between the abstraction of a computer process and an instruction command made by a human. This course provides the basics on understanding programming languages data structures, variable types and logical thinking through the use of Java Script and interaction with HTML.
- Web Scripting (Jquery)
- Web Design Fundamentals (Mobile Sites)
- Competency: Plan and design a web pageThis Course extends the knowledge from HTML and Jquery to be implemented on mobile devices. more and more people access the internet from a mobile device rather than a desktop computer, sites developed for desktop computers do not work the same on mobile devices for several reasons, the first is the size of the screen and second the interaction with the site, on a mobile device the input from a user is no longer a keyboard or a mouse but a touch screen, therefore sites must be designed in a different way, By the end of the course students will understand the difference between a mobile site and a desktop size in terms of size, responsive design, input manipulation, animation and interaction.
- Client-Side Web Development I –(PHOTOSHOP I)
- Competency: Manipulate static imagesThis introductory course provides the opportunity to develop knowledge and skill in bitmapped graphics using Photoshop®. Photoshop® topics include working with file size and format and using drawing, selection, and retouching and coloration tools. Students also learn how to work with the Layers, Channels and the History palettes. We learn how to use layers, layer masks, clipping masks, vector masks, Quick Mask mode, Blending modes, colorization and creation of drop and cast shadows. Additional topics include special effects, adjustment layers, color management, and creation of brushes. This module also covers preparation of images for printing.
- Web Graphics I – (PHOTOSHOP II)
- Competency: Create drawings and work with imagesCompetency: Create simple animations
This course is an overview of design concepts. Students analyze artistic trends in the graphic arts. Interactive design, graphic design, and other aesthetic issues will be discussed throughout the class. Creation of animations using frames panel and timeline panel. Design research methods and advanced Photoshop techniques are explored. Developing a design brief, sitemaps and wire framing are introduced for website design. Introduction to typography in design and the role it plays in web development.
- Creativity and Graphic Design (CREATIVITY)
- Competency: Exploit artistic and graphics trendsThis course gives students the opportunity to utilize skills learned to date to explore their creativity and graphic trends. They are expected to produce quality graphic work to use in their portfolios. Students will prepare assets for their website and are also expected to create a PDF format for their portfolio.
- Web Graphics II – (ILLUSTRATOR AND INDESIGN)
- Competency: Use multimedia toolsThis module starts with an introduction to the language of design. Then we look at the influences on contemporary Graphic Design and the ways to manage effective design. We learn about the four basic layout elements: proximity, alignment, repetition and contrast. We look at the components of color and how to use colors effectively. We learn to understand how to use imagery effectively. We discover the power of typography and how to apply it effectively in today’s page layouts. We discover the power of using shapes, space, lines and textures.
Building on the developing skills, students will be introduced to Illustrator and InDesign. In conjunction with Photoshop, this course will combine the practical uses of all learned software in a complete design process. A study on branding of a company from beginning to end will be presented where student will be required to produce graphics materials and communications as well as the website design.
- Client-Side Web Development II – (Project)
- Competency: Create an online multimedia presentation
Competency: Research, organize and transmit informationThis course provides the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills in planning well-designed, effective brand identity that meets an organization’s business objectives and address appropriate audience requirements. Students will be responsible for creating the corporate identity and effectively communicate the brand message using different mediums such as logo, stationary, printed marketing collateral, social media, and website. Through this study project, skills such as project research, planning strategy, managing workflow, creating design briefs, effective client communication, presentation, and problem solving will be further developed.
- Competency: Integration in a professional work environment
After completion of the program students will use the skills and knowledge acquired in school to do a work internship in a company. Students will reinforce Web Design principles learned in school; learn new technologies, learn time management, build a professional and positive attitude, learn to work independently as well as in a team and build rapport with colleagues and customers. Students will be expected to document their work and submit it for evaluation.
• Quebec issued high school diploma or equivalent
• Minimum of two consecutive terms
One school year interruption from full-time studies
• Minimum of one year post-secondary education
• Pass a general admissions entrance test
• Meet any additional program specific entrance requirements
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out! Try our Career Exploration Kit
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Readiness score now.