A career as a programmer analyst leads to several employment possibilities including working as a web programmer, video game developer, business application programmer, multimedia developer, technical support analyst, and database developer. A well-rounded and highly employable programmer analyst will be proficient in PHP, Microsoft .VBNET Applications, Java, SQL servers and as many programming languages and platforms as possible. Professionals in this field are equipped with a range of core skills applicable to various work environments such as design firms, corporations, small businesses and working independently on a freelance basis.
Programmer Analyst Job Description
Regardless of what type of programming the employer is using, programmer analysts are responsible for a range of specific tasks. Several of these include:
• Software code writing, modification, integration and testing
• Identification of technical problems and solutions
• Collection and documentation of user requirements
• Maintenance of existing computer programs through modification when required
• Preparation of documentation (reports, manuals) on the status and operation of software
• Development of logical and physical specifications
• Research and evaluation of software projects
Programmer Analyst Projected Demand
As more industries are relying on computer programs and the web to expand and succeed, skilled and trained programmer analysts are in high demand; a trend that by all indications will continue for the next several years. There are more entry level jobs available in this field than there are people qualified to fill them. The current median salary for a programmer analyst in Canada is $57,250 a year.