Media coordinator is a relatively new career path in the field of marketing. These professionals combine social media management, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), video production and other techniques to craft and promote the reputation of a company or brand. Trained media coordinators find work in diverse employment environments from small businesses and large corporations, to non-profits and in the public sector as well. Media coordinators can also work independently on a freelance basis.
Media Coordinator Job Description
Media coordinators must stay aware of new social media platforms and trends, as well as changes in search engine algorithms, analytics, and content marketing. Their responsibilities usually include:
• Development and implementation of a social media strategy
• Development and implementation of an SEO strategy
• Constantly monitoring the company’s performance and reputation online
• Confronting criticism of the employer’s reputation during a social media crisis
• Management of graphics
• Website content generation and copywriting
• Studying and understanding results through analytics
• Verifying search rankings
• Video production
Media Coordinator Projected Demand
With the increased need for companies to promote their brands online using SEO, social media, websites and other tools, many businesses are creating media coordinator positions that didn’t exist before. This is leading to a significant demand in the industry that is greater than the amount of skilled workers ready to fill it. This trend is expected to continue, particularly in Canada which is ranked one of the top three countries in the world for online engagement. The average salary for media coordinators in Canada is $39,904 a year.